In a few weeks I’m heading off to my very first Pro Blogger conference on the Gold Coast, I’m a bit excited but also a bit overwhelmed…already! There’s expected to be 600+ bloggers at the conference, all there eager to network, learn and mingle, can’t wait.
Since going through chemo my brain gets befuddled easily and wanders, which means I’m a bit of a time waster. What I should really be doing is making sure I’m good to go and ready for the trip. While the conference runs for a couple of days I’m actually away for ten days and the Mister is joining me for a break once the conference is done and dusted. I can tell you now I’m looking forward to ten whole days of not making the bed, not cooking, and no kids 🙂
So what to pack? I know right….how long is a piece of string?, especially when there is that pesky 20kg airline weight limit that’s going to cramp my style a bit. Then there’s all the stuff like gadgets, snacks and getting photo shoot ready. Oh, I forgot to tell you, I’m doing a swimsuit photo shoot for Curvy Swimwear while I’m there, makes me giggle every time I say it!
Are you headed away soon? Maybe you’re coming to Pro Blogger too? If you are say hi 🙂 I hope my tips on packing and travel help you. I’m also entering my article in a little writing comp in the hope it might win me some Virgin Australia velocity points, would be ace to take my family on a holiday. Right let’s get started.
1. Let’s start with being organised, print off all booking details like airfares, transfers and accommodation details and pop them in your carry on bag. It’s good to have info on your phone but if you lose it or have a flat battery then you need to have a backup.
2. I take daily medication, I know it’s a bore but necessary to keep that pesky cancer away. I suggest packing extra and split it up, some in your handbag and some in checked baggage.
3. Don’t forget your drivers license or ID, a boogie at a night club may result in being asked for proof of age which is great for the ego but not so much when they refuse you entry because you have no ID. If you’re headed to Pro Blogger pack business cards everywhere, ready to hand out at a moments notice.
4. Snacks are important so pack some healthy nutritious snacks, individually wrapped are even better.
5. If there’s a supermarket close to the hotel then take advantage and buy some water, fruit and snacks-even if you have meals sorted it’s good to be prepared.
6. Air travel is dehydrating and makes me puff up so I prefer to travel in an elastic waist, comfy shoes, a comfy bra and drink plenty of water. Some facial wipes and a rose hydrating mist are great pick me ups too.
7. Do you know what the best container to store rings and earrings in is?… an empty medication bottle. If it has one of those harder to get into child safe lids even better, just make sure you remove all labels to avoid confusion. Failing that I carry all my jewellery in their drawstring dust bags (think MIMCO) and pop those inside my shoes.
8. Shoes are also great for storing stockings and socks.
9. I carry lingerie wash bags, one for clean lingerie, one for dirty clothes and one or two for shoes. Nothing worse than grubby soles marking your clothes.
10. Get beauty ready before you head away. Spray tan, waxing, facial, nails, brow tint and maybe even a toner to freshen up your hair colour…well if you’re blonde like me.
11. Decant your expensive beauty products into smaller plastic travel containers. That way if you lose your bags you haven’t lost hundreds of dollars worth of products too…oh and it’s much lighter. You could also purchase mini products too like shampoo and conditioner or take nearly empty bottles and leave them behind when you head home.
12. Roll clothing like shirts and jeans to prevent creasing. In fact almost everything can be rolled, so much better for fitting more in too.
13. Invest in a portable charger for your gadgets, especially if attending a blogging conference like me. I can’t live without them.
14. Take three tops for every bottom and keep them in a colour palette that is interchangeable and complimentary.
15. Make sure you have at least one light, one dark and one print top.
16. Layering shirts, tees and tanks is lighter and better for baggage limits than packing heavy knits and jackets. If it’s super cold then pack thermals.
17. Scarves and jewellery are the best way to add colour to an outfit and can take an outfit from ‘casual to rock star’ or ‘day to night’ in a flash. One pair of crystal (or diamond) studs will get you through a holiday.
18. I’m a shoe collector and travelling always messes with me, but with age and experience I’ve realised that you can absolutely do with less and taking limited shoes means you can definitely hit the shops for a special purchase. I favour one pair each of white converse, tan wedges, ankle boots in black or tan and one pair of rock star heels.
19. Pack a coat hanger because most hotels have those bloody weird hangers that can’t be removed from the wardrobe. Having a hanger allows me to hang creased dresses in the bathroom and steam them when the shower is on, a bit of a burst from a blow dryer is a good tip too.
20. Pack some makeup in your carry on and some in checked baggage, again if a bag is lost or delayed you aren’t left without your ‘face’.
21. If travelling to some place where you’ll be swimming or visiting the beach take two cossies. One is bound to be wet and there’s nothing worse than trying to wriggle yourself into a wet cossie.
22. Lastly, take ear-buds and an eye mask to block out the world when you need to rest. I also make sure I load up my iTunes account (for downloading new found apps) and I have all my favourite tunes on my mobile phone including some meditation music.
Phew…I absolutely could have kept going but I reckon that list covers most things. Just writing it has got me excited, I reckon I’m going to spend this weekend choosing which clothes to pack. Did I tell you I bought I bright pink suitcase? Well I did!
When I had my vision (dream) of attending pro blogger some 12 months ago I saw myself at the airport with a pink suitcase, which is a bit indulgent because I live in a house of full of males. A few weeks ago I stood in a store looking at the black suitcase and the pink suitcase for fifteen freakin minutes trying to decide which to buy. Would I be conservative and buy the one the whole family could use or would I honour my ‘vision’ and all my hard work? Yeah, I honoured my hard work and purchased the pink one. No regrets, I’m worth it and I’m pretty sure it will be easier to spot on the airport carousel too!
Will I see you at Pro Blogger? Is it your first like me?
What’s your best travel/packing tips?…please share for the good of everyone planning a trip.