A T shirt dress is a simple summer staple that will get you through the warmer months with style. T shirt dress…it’s genius, I know! A shapeless dress in a similar style to at shirt with extra length, wear it on its own or get creative and inject new life into it time after time.
The t shirt dress should be part of your ‘foundation wardrobe’, a simple piece that will become a chameleon in your wardrobe. Not all T shirt dresses are equal though, you might have to try several styles before you find the right one for you There’s a few things to look for in a T shirt dress, get the style and shape right and you will stand out from the rest. Let’s not forget the luxe versions too. Yes, you can even wear a luxe version to the office!
It’s in the details.
Personally I love a curved hem, women have curves so it makes sense, right? A dip down hemline is on trend and super flattering, it also gives you more bum/thigh coverage which is something I really like.
A little extra sleeve length is always welcome too, if it’s too long just cuff the sleeve a little for a little more finesse. Look for extra details like binding on a neckline with pleather or can add a style edge.
Pockets! Who doesn’t like a pocket? Yes, that’s right no one…everyone loves pockets. Just be careful of ‘pocket placement’, a concealed pocket gives a streamlined look whereas a large boxy pocket can make you look, well…large and boxy. A pocket with drape is a softer alternative to a boxy pocket. If you have larger thighs steer clear of large pockets over the thigh, instead look for pockets concealed in the side seam.
Fabric composition is super important, too thin and flimsy and your dress will lose shape, grab on all the places you don’t want it to and will wear fast. Instead choose a heavier weight fabric, with substance that skims over your shape instead of sticking to your body like gum to a shoe. A fabric that is crease resistant is also a bonus.
A plain colour T shirt dress will be your most versatile one, when you get braver and want to stretch your fashion wings add one in a stripe or print.
So how do you wear a T shirt dress?
– wear a T shirt dress on its own, add converse kicks, a bandana in the hair and you’re good to go.
– add ankle boots and a chambray shirt over the top.
– add blingy sandals and a summer Cape will take you to a seaside lunch date in style.
– add your favourite wedges and a blazer for a meeting or day at work.
– when the weather is fresher add tights or leggings under your T shirt dress and finish off with knee high boots or ankle boots.
– pop a cape over your T shirt dress to create a whole new look.
– if your T shirt dress has a dip down back then pop it over your fave jeans and do a little front tuck.
– don’t forget the power of accessories to dress up your T shirt dress, a thin belt can create subtle shape and a statement necklace can take your dress to a ‘dressier’ occasion.
Tell me, have you got a T shirt dress in your wardrobe? Are you making the most of its versatile ways?
Til next time’
post contains affiliate links in accordance with my disclosure policy
updated Feb 2018