White shoes. For me they conjure up happy 80s vibes. Reebok high tops, sky high stilettos or the most coveted fringed ankle boot! Footloose, Roller Skates & Madonna’s Like a Virgin look, still dominate my style dreams! Lucky for me, white footwear is making a comeback, not quite in the same 80s vein, but it’s there! What has in recent times been exclusively the domain of sneakers, white footwear will be all the rage (again) in boots, flats & heels. Read on below for a few of my favourites & I’ll show you how to wear white shoes and get it right! O.K. Let’s roll!
My tips for how to wear white shoes!
- Keep them clean! Nike suggest a bit of good old laundry liquid with warm water to wipe your sneakers & sometimes just throwing them in the delicate cycle of your washing machine will do the trick. Don’t forget the laces, give them a wash too – or shout yourself some new laces when the old ones start to look tatty. Baby wipes are awesome at touching up your grubby non sneaker whites.
- Not all whites are the same! There’s subtle differences between the whites & off whites. Don’t be scared to match them. A white pair of boots & a white handbag, no matter their slight colour difference will still tie in & bring the look together.
- Don’t be scared to wear black with your white shoes, although keeping some skin between the shoe & your hemline can help soften the contrast.
- Denim of any size, shape & colour rocks with white footwear!
- Look for a pattern with some white in it, a floral, a stripe or a hint of a white cami underneath will tie the outfit to your shoes & not appear so abstract.
For me, these are the easiest to wear out of all the white styles, sneakers will take you everywhere, literally! From date night with a little black dress to your favourite denim, sneakers are no longer just for active wear! Find a pair that fit & are comfy. There’s so many styles & price points out there it’s easy to find a pair that will work for you. personally I love the platform sneaker for elevated style and height!. Then pair them with whatever you like! If all white is a little scary, there’s heaps of styles that introduce a coloured sole, a highlight stripe or a hint of pattern, just go with what you love!
Don’t these sandals just scream summer?! Team them with your favourite sun dress & go for a twirl, or your denim cut off shorts & kimono for a boho vibe. Let these babies take the place of your usual tan or nude sandles for a summer fling! Make sure you keep them clean of course, paint those toenails in your favourite shade & tan up those pins! Now, off for icecream!
I love this masculine style, they are just so versatile. Casual with jeans, flirty with a fun dress or preppy with pants for the workplace. A pair of brogues are stylish, comfortable & look great with just about anything! I’ve added in a pair of slip on loafers too as another menswear style alternative to have some fun with!
Hold me! I’m so happy these are back for another season! This Winter, these beauties are going to be everywhere! Western, 60’s kitsch or biker, all your favourite boot styles are going to be given the white wash! Find a pair that are comfy & you’ll be able to wear them from season to season. I own the Bared Footwear ones below and love them!
So white shoes…. what do you think? Are you going to rock a pair or will they stay locked away in your Xanadu Olivia Newton-John dreams? Tell me everything!